08 February 2006

A Bit of Cat Scratch Fun

Thanks to the beauty of SIRIUS radio, I can listen to all the Right-Wing Talk I want to in the morning. It just so happens that while I'm getting ready for work, Cam & Company reruns are on one channel, while some guy who hosts the Red, White & Dude Network is on the other. Both talk about guns ceaselessly, which is a fascinating topic to me for a number of reasons.

1. I'm from the liberal northeast where guns are scaaary, dangerous things that drug dealers point at whitey at impossible-to-shoot-rap-star-angles. (One guy told me once that if anyone shot a gun with their hand twisted over like that, they'd break their wrist.) Average, middle class suburbanites just didn't fit into the gun demographic around here.

2. Gun control runs rampant in this area of the country. You can't sell a toy gun unless it has one of those stupid orange caps on the end of the barrel, and if a kid so much as makes a hand gesture in the form of a gun in a public classroom, he's going to get "time out." (I'm not kidding.)

3. I played with toy guns when I was a kid. At one point, my big career choice was between being a federal agent/spy or being a cowboy. (Oh, for the sweet days of youth.) I never had a problem with guns, but at the same time, I never really felt the need to own one, either. Shooting rocked, though.

In any case, one fun thing I picked up from listening to the morning gun chat on SIRIUS right wing radio is that Ted Nugent, aka recording sensation known for such great albums as Cat Scratch Fever is apparently a hardcore gun-toting patriot. At this point, I would like to make note of the fact that I have been a serious Ted Nugent fan since the Beth Littleford days of The Daily Show, when she interviewed Ted in his school-bus-turned-bunker in the desert of the American west. I may not have identified myself as a conservative back then, but I sure as heck knew what was cool-- and bunkers built out of old junk housing former rock stars-turned-pseudo-militia-men are cool.

So, here's to you, Ted Nugent. Rock on with your bad self.

Technorati Tags:




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home