28 July 2006

The Heroes of the Zahal

Zahal Realities from the Blogosphere:

Allison at an Unsealed Room reports Every War Has Its Heroes:
It's only the day after he was killed and a legend is already growing around the heroism of Major Ro'i Klein, the Golani commander who died in the ambush and fierce battle that took place in Bint Jbeil that took the lives of nine soldiers.

Several members of his battalion confirm the story -- a grenade was lobbed in the midst of the unit under his command. Klein, who was 31 years old, married with two children, made a quick decision and jumped, throwing his body onto the grenade, losing his life, and saving the lives of all of his soldiers.

The word "hero" is sometimes used too lightly, but I think this qualifies.
StillRuleAll at Jumping on the Bandwagon gives a heartfelt account of attending My Friend's Funeral
...Then the father spoke. "I spoke to Amichai last week, and I asked him if he was afraid. He said the only thing he was afraid of was not being the best officer he could be, and letting his soldiers down. He never thought of himself, only of other." The father went on and said, "my son died protecting this country. And while I'm heartbroken, I know he died for a good cause, a cause he and we believe in. Defending Israel. And this war must go on. We can't quit until we've won. And I thank you, all you soldiers out there watching out for us, I thank you and I praise you."...
Israel at Level Ground gives great insight into Beit Kobi: Home for Immigrant IDF Soldiers and an American-born, Israeli musician and IDF artilleryman on the Northern Border whose using his talent to support a good cause:
...By “selling” a downloadable audio album with Elie’s music and conversation clips, we will direct the proceeds to assist the people who need it the most; residents of the north and our weary soldiers, while promoting the career of one of “our own” dedicated IDF soldiers in the process.

Your $10 payment entitles you to download a zipped audio file that includes 5 songs from IDF soldier/musician Elie Deutsch's album-in-progress. The file also includes clips from conversations recorded by Elie and his army friends, who are currently fighting in an artillery unit on the Northern Front...
Orthodox Anarchists puts the call up of reserves into perspective: 30,000 reservists = Possibly all of my male friends under 30. Religious, secular, left-wing, right-wing, apolitical. They all go.

On the very day I call to you for help,
my enemies will retreat.
This I know: God is on my side.


O God, I praise your word.
Yes, LORD, I praise your word.

I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
What can mere mortals do to me?


I will fulfill my vows to you, O God,
and offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help.

Psalm 56:9-12






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home